• VIP
Can anyone help please? We'd like to get Jack a trike (or bike with stabilisers) for his 4th birthday but are struggling to find one with a supportive seat. Due to his hypertonia he needs a seat with a supporting back ( a bit like the smart trike - which he's too big for now). I've been trawling the internet but all the ones for Children with disabilities are SOOO expensive. Can anyone suggest anything please?? x

• VIP
Hi, have you seen the tomcats trike? They are very expensive tho! We had a trial at the start of the summer Holidays and I was very impressed. Our little one who is 6 has autism and Im not sure if she will ever get the hang of balancing a bike but our big problem is her safety and just "shuts down" sometimes so our only option is a tomcat or something similar. We haven't put our order in yet as we have applied for funding and just crossing everything possible that they say yes!
Things can be hard on occasions but well worth it!Heart

• VIP
(09-04-2011, 07:14 PM)Ilovecake Wrote: Hi, have you seen the tomcats trike? They are very expensive tho! We had a trial at the start of the summer Holidays and I was very impressed. Our little one who is 6 has autism and Im not sure if she will ever get the hang of balancing a bike but our big problem is her safety and just "shuts down" sometimes so our only option is a tomcat or something similar. We haven't put our order in yet as we have applied for funding and just crossing everything possible that they say yes!

Thanks. I did look at the tomcats trike online and agree they are expensive but aren't they great!! Jack is autistic too but seems to enjoy the trikes at nursery - though he doesn't yet pedal around on his own. I never thought about applying for funding for one - it may be our only option if we have to get something so expensive. We try to manage on our own usually but anything over £100 is too much for us. Thanks for your reply and good luck with the funding - hope you get it. x

• VIP
I know exactly what you mean and everything with the word disability seems to add on hundreds!!! Not fair.
Things can be hard on occasions but well worth it!Heart

• Registered
Hi.....

I work for a charity called Caudwell Children and we provide funding for therapy trikes for children with additional needs who's yearly income is £45,000 and below all across the UK.... Why not have a look on our website and if you want to know anymore information or want support around filling out the application pack for any of our services please don't hesitate to contact me....
Bounce Ema Harker
Family Support Coordinator - London
Email - ema.harker@caudwellchildren.com
Tel - 07975 981769
Web address - http://www.caudwellchildren.com