Posts: 1 | Threads: 0
Joined: Feb 2018
Reputation: 0

  • Registered
Please delete if not appropriate/ allowed.

Dear Parents of Children with SEN, Disabilities, Impairments and Learning Difficulties,

My name is Becky and I am a 22 year old, 3rd year student at Nottingham Trent University, studying BA (Hons) Childhood Studies. I am conducting research regarding Alternative and Augmentative Communication (AAC) as part of my final piece/ dissertation, and how parents perceive, acknowledge and understand this concept, regarding their child/ children with additional needs.

As part of the data collection for my project, I have created an online survey, which is accessible to all those with internet access to complete. The survey is completely anonymous and participants have the right to withdraw at any time and all results will remain strictly confidential. This research proposal has received ethical approval in accordance with Nottingham Trent University ethical procedures & BERA Guidelines.

I acknowledge that as parents, time is limited and daily lives can be busy. If you have a spare 5 minutes, it would be very much appreciated if you could complete the online survey for me.

Please follow this link: https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/TPJ5VQ5

Thank you so much for your time.
Posts: 4 | Threads: 0
Joined: May 2018
Reputation: 0

  • Registered
I did initially dread nursery for our little guy with some special needs. He attends a mainstream one right now. It benefited his cognitive and speech development in many ways. In other words my son can learn and communicate like a typically developing child of the same age.
I have started to look at schools that are in the area as well as schools that take children with disabilities and special educational needs. Some of them are out of the question due to logistics and travel arrangements. He and his twin sister turn 2 in June. They will be starting school next year in September 2019 when they are 3 years old. I want a physical therapist to work with him and encourage him to compensate for his physical disability. This is pretty much why I want to send him to a mainstream school.
Try looking for playgroups in your local area for him. They might be willing to help him develop and grow. Good luck!! Do what you feel is best for your child you are the parent after all. Does he have a statement of need or not?

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)