• VIP
Hi all we are off to see 2 of Lucies surgeons on Tuesday at GOSH. This is not a good thing as Lucie hates hospitals and everything associated with them including the train journey there!
Has anyone elses child got a phobia of hospitals? I'm getting myself into a bit of a state over it as i know how she is going to behave on the way there and we have to catch the train at rush hour as they only ever seem to give us morning appointments!
Lucie has written her doctor a letter, it;s very short and says she doesn;t want her operations and she is scared and is worried her friends won;t recognise her afterwards. That upset me too!

• Administrators
(07-25-2010, 11:21 PM)luciesmum1 Wrote: Hi all we are off to see 2 of Lucies surgeons on Tuesday at GOSH. This is not a good thing as Lucie hates hospitals and everything associated with them including the train journey there!
Has anyone elses child got a phobia of hospitals? I'm getting myself into a bit of a state over it as i know how she is going to behave on the way there and we have to catch the train at rush hour as they only ever seem to give us morning appointments!
Lucie has written her doctor a letter, it;s very short and says she doesn;t want her operations and she is scared and is worried her friends won;t recognise her afterwards. That upset me too!

How did you get on Yesterday?
Hope it went well
Looking for sensory toys at affordable prices then look no further

Sensory toys for children with special needs CLICK HERE

• Administrators
how did it go? was it as bad as expected? Confused what a tragic letter Sad would break my heart to see any of my Children write something like that. im sure the doctors are used to it though Blush euan hates hospitals, we say we're going to see the nice doctor but the first thing he says is 'no take my blood' Sad and ofcourse....they have to! so we always endure tears and screaming. i do hope in time he gets over this as its as distressing for me as it is him seeing him like that! i feel your pain hun Smile

xx

• VIP
Hope everything went well for you. Matt attends GOSH on a regular basis and the train journey can be horrendous. It usually takes us about 2 hours to get there (which i know isn't too bad when some people come form a lot further). We usually take his favourite toy with us and if he's allowed to eat we bring lots of snacks & drinks. As he's only 2.5 he's easier to amuse. Matt's generally ok until we get to the hospital as he knows whats going on. But he's started to get used to being at hospital as we usually are there every week sometimes more than once. x

• VIP
Hi everyone,

Well Lucie must have got out of bed the right way for a change, she was in an unusally good mood considering where we were going! We took her nurse who she sees every week with us (she is the only nurse Lucie really trusts) and she has helped Lucie by giving her some coping stratagies and a stress ball in the shape of a zebra.
Lucie held the zebra in the waiting room and all through the appointment. She was doing really well until all the students came in (i think we counted 11) But although she went quiet she let both her surgeons examine her. We gave them her letter and they were both very nice and actually discussed everything with Lucie and showed her her CT scan from when she was 2.
The CT scan when she was 2 showed her chin and nose to be in central allignment, which the doctor pointed out, Lucies chin is now to the right which is resulted from her jaw bone growing and as she only has bone on the left side instead of growing straight it is going around as there is no support from the right (i hope that makes sence!) Anyway the recomendation is that she HAS to have surgery by the age of 11 which is when her next growth spurt is due. The ear reconstruction can be done whenever Lucie wants it to be done. At least that is something she'll have a choice over.
The doctor explained to Lucie that he needed a new ct scan to be done so her can look at all the bones under her skin, but that she could go to sleep for it to bedone. i was asked to go to ct to book her an appointment but while we were there they said they could fit us in as they had a space if Lucie would do it without sedation. i asked if they could show here the scanner and explain what would happen and amazingly Lucie agreed. She stayed still throughout the whole scan and they rewarded her with 4 spongebob stickers! She also had an xray and some photos taken all without complaining. We have to go back in 2 weeks on friday 13th!!!!! to discuss all Lucies options and what can be done with regards to types of surgery. Bone graft and distraction is the most likely one tho!
I was sooo proud of Lucie i took her to the shop and she brought a new teddy and i treated her to a mcdonalds on the way back to the train station! (greddy piggy had 3 burgers!) All in all a good day!