• Registered
Hi can I ask if anyone on here has applied for ESA for their over 16? Particulaly for teenagers with ASD? My son has one year left at college and then we will be on this road and because I work at DWP and also have joined a few support groups and forums I have heard terrible things about ATOS. I know ATOS are useless at our in house assesments for staff. So I am interested if anyone has been for a medical, what group were they/you put in support or work related and did you have to go to tribunal? Was the tribunal helpful? Any information greatly received. Thanks

• Moderators
that is something i have got to do in a few years as he is in s/n further ed college at mo till at least 19 but did do some studying about it as the pensions bloke ~(can never remember where he from, he came to sign guardianship to me or sumat when matt turned 16) told me that matt could get it and it was pretty confusing and it said he would have to go for interview to see if he was able to work which is unlikely but he couldnt get it while he was getting ema so i didnt go any further.
There comes a point in your life when you realize:Who matters,Who never did,Who won't anymore...And who always will..
So, don't worry about people from your past,there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

• Registered
Yes Alex is a special needs college for one more year. I was hoping he could stay on as we were told when he started he could stay up to 21 but the funding has now been cut.

• Moderators
thats what puzzles me i was told when matt was at school that there is educational funding till 19 then there is adult funding up to 24 depending on where he went, friends 19yr old son is going to college 3 days a week in sept but was told if she pushed she might get more. will have to remind her about esa though as because of the type of course he is doing he can still get esa now he too old for ema. both of us were told that once Children were over 18 we stopped being their parent and became their carer and as such were not obliged to look after them so to push for as many days as you can as they would prefer to pay for a few days at a college or day centre than have them full time. we do have a brilliant adult social worker though (he working hard for me even though matt only 17 and he is transitional s/w) and he does whatever he can to get the right respite and college or wherever they want to go just hope he doesnt burn himself out to soon Angel
There comes a point in your life when you realize:Who matters,Who never did,Who won't anymore...And who always will..
So, don't worry about people from your past,there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

• VIP
(07-22-2010, 07:34 PM)corinne Wrote: that is something i have got to do in a few years as he is in s/n further ed college at mo till at least 19 but did do some studying about it as the pensions bloke ~(can never remember where he from, he came to sign guardianship to me or sumat when matt turned 16) told me that matt could get it and it was pretty confusing and it said he would have to go for interview to see if he was able to work which is unlikely but he couldnt get it while he was getting ema so i didnt go any further.

What do you mean guardianship?? do we all have to do this??
HeartHeart Stacy HeartHeart
Mother to Terry 10 MLD + ADHD, Nicole 9 Cri-du-chat Syndrome ADHD Asthma GDD Coarctation, Jessica 4 Cri-Du-Chat Syndrome GDD Reflux