• Registered
Hi Daniel spoke to a manager this morning and she quoted this guideline from dept of transport guidance booklet

Medical conditions such as asthma, autism, psychological/behavioural problems, Crohn’s disease/incontinent conditions and myalgic encephalomyelitis (M.E.) are not in themselves a qualification for a badge. People with these conditions may be eligible for a badge, but only if they are in receipt of HMRCDLA on account of their condition or are unable to walk or have very considerable difficulty in walking, in addition to their condition.
The final decision is for local authorities to make, and they should ensure that an assessment is made by an independent health professional where they have difficulty in determining whether a person is eligible.

At least she was a bit more more sympathetic. Have tried the bb helplinf for clarification but its permanent voicemail.

• Moderators
hi amberash, did u appeal against the low rate mobility? unfortunately that is the easiest way to get the blue badge
they say "The final decision is for local authorities to make, and they should ensure that an assessment is made by an independent health professional where they have difficulty in determining whether a person is eligible." can you request an assessment to be made by the health professional as they obviously cant make the determination of eligibility by themselves or go to your gp if he is supportive as a letter from them can help sometimes too
corinne
There comes a point in your life when you realize:Who matters,Who never did,Who won't anymore...And who always will..
So, don't worry about people from your past,there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

• Registered
Hi Corinne

I am still thinking about appealing but am having problems with a violent ex who has now been released from prison and is giving us a hard time. I can't concentrate on anything else.

I give up with the bb, its not going to happen, they will take one look at my boy and say he is fine as they usually do. My local welfare rights have told me that they are trying to cut a lot of benefits and different dm make look at it differently. He said there are some shocking decisions at the moment Its just too stressful. Will think about it and make a final decision.

Thank you

• Administrators
With regards to autism higher rate mobility is a hard benefit to claim as its so varied the decesion makers tend to treat all applications on there individual perception of there own view on the condition without looking into full details into how it effects people on an individual basis and it stinks Sad
I will try and give you an honest view point here and try my best to say if you are likely to be succesful.

What is an average journey for you?
How far can you get walking without issues of any kind?
What issues do you face?
How do this issues impact on life for you and your child?
Are there safety concerns?
What sort of help does he need with school etc to get by?
Looking for sensory toys at affordable prices then look no further

Sensory toys for children with special needs CLICK HERE

• Registered
(07-22-2010, 08:56 PM)Daniel Wrote: With regards to autism higher rate mobility is a hard benefit to claim as its so varied the decesion makers tend to treat all applications on there individual perception of there own view on the condition without looking into full details into how it effects people on an individual basis and it stinks Sad
I will try and give you an honest view point here and try my best to say if you are likely to be succesful.

What is an average journey for you?
How far can you get walking without issues of any kind?
What issues do you face?
How do this issues impact on life for you and your child?
Are there safety concerns?
What sort of help does he need with school etc to get by?
Hi Daniel

a typical journey is him absolutely refusing to walk most days. He will walk about four houses before he has a meltdown. He runs on the road, no sense of danger and completely refuses to get in major buggy. He tries to tip it over and struggles. We don't go out at the moment as its not safe and have no car,his personal assistant wont take him outdoors because she cant handle his behaviour. He kicks, bites and screams if hears a loud noise. His school say he has more of behaviour problems than learning problems. When he refuses to move nothing can make him and i have to physically pick him up, which is difficult as he is a big five year old.

He is angel at school and holds the teachers hand a the few trips that take but wont do it home. They know this and tell me they are structured and that he really likes school.
I am a prisoner in my own home. I sometimes have to leave my girls on the road or in a car park to stop him from killing himself, have had loads of near misses with cars. He turned down as he is toilet trained in days but needs adult support to wipe and prompting to go. Also dm said he can do a puzzle so he does not have a severe learning disability.

Thanks for all your help