Posts: 126 | Threads: 28
Joined: Jan 2010
Reputation: 0

  • VIP
(03-03-2010, 02:43 AM)Daniel Wrote:
(03-03-2010, 12:30 AM)ella Wrote:
(01-22-2010, 02:58 PM)Daniel Wrote:
(01-22-2010, 02:53 PM)ella Wrote: hi daniel do you think i would be able to obtain a blue badge for my daughter jaimee ?? we get dla at the middle rate for her but she is only 14 weeks old ?? and i dont know where to apply if i could xx
Do you use feeding pumps or oxygen at the moment?

no i dont use nothing like that ??
Is Jaimee likely to need urgent medical treatment without any notice i.e could you be out shopping and a fit or bleed come on in which you would need to attend hospital in an emergency?
This also needs to be supported by Jaimees doctor!
no she wouldent do that either well i hope not anywqay xx
teagan mia 03/05/06Heart
ruby hannah 12/09/08 Heart
jaimee evanna 07/10/09 Heart
jaimee grade 4 ivh hemiplegia cp and global development delay
love my 3 girls all the world mommys perfect princesses xxxx
Posts: 7,752 | Threads: 3,202
Joined: Oct 2009
Reputation: 11

  • Administrators
(03-04-2010, 12:48 AM)ella Wrote: no she wouldent do that either well i hope not anywqay xx

From the viewpoint of the bluebadge criteria they would say that in regards to Jaimee's mobility needs are no diffrent from that of another child of her age so would need the same assistance when using the car.
Obviously if things were to change then a blue badge would be an option or if by age 3 she was not walking because of the condition then the needs would be greater than that of another child.
Looking for sensory toys at affordable prices then look no further

Sensory toys for children with special needs CLICK HERE
Posts: 126 | Threads: 28
Joined: Jan 2010
Reputation: 0

  • VIP
thanks for that i know what you mean x
teagan mia 03/05/06Heart
ruby hannah 12/09/08 Heart
jaimee evanna 07/10/09 Heart
jaimee grade 4 ivh hemiplegia cp and global development delay
love my 3 girls all the world mommys perfect princesses xxxx
Posts: 1 | Threads: 0
Joined: Feb 2016
Reputation: 0

  • Registered
(10-11-2009, 01:56 PM)Daniel Wrote: As a parent of a disabled child there are a list of benefits you may be entitled to.
It is always worth ensuring you have a benefit's check up to ensure that you are claiming the correct items for your household.
Remember benefits are there to assist you and your family and to make your life easier.
There is a common problem however with benefits in that some people are embarrased to claim there as they believe that people will judge them and look at them in a bad way.
Well dont be ashamed to claim any benefits you are entitled to.

You have a hard enough life looking after a disabled child as it is so why should you worry about money?

Claim the benefits you are entitled to and i have compiled a short brief guide to help you.

A word of warning though. These forms are very tedious and you do find that you end up writing the same thing over and over again.
Also, it can be quite upsetting putting into black and white the problems that your child has – it seems much more real somehow.
Dont be afraid to ask for help from freinds and family or visit your local Citizens Advice Bureau and they can assist you on your claim forms for benefits.

Another excellent thing i could suggest is to ask for advice in a thread on the forum.

Disability Living Allowance
Disability Living Allowance (DLA) is broken down into two components: care which has three tiers of payment and mobility which has two. You may be entitled to one or both of these benefits.

To be entitled to DLA care component, your child must need more care and attention than their peers. This can be due to a physical or mental disability. Children under the age of 16 cannot claim independently but usually the parent or guardian acts as an appointee. Care needs include things such as help with going to the toilet, eating and getting dressed. Also things such as your child has no danger awareness when out or will hurt themselves if left unsupervised etc. Special rules apply if your child is terminally ill and you will receive the higher rate of allowance. If your child goes into hospital or residential care that is state funded then your benefit may be affected. You can claim before your child is three months old but payment will not be made before they are three months old unless you qualify for special rules.

The three levels of the care component are as follows

Lower rate - your child needs help for only a significant part of the day
Middle rate – your child needs frequent care through the day or night
Higher rate – your child needs care through the day and night

Care Component Weekly Rates (Correct as of 27.6.06.)

Highest rate £62.25
Middle rate £41.65
Lowest rate £16.50

The benefit is usually paid direct into your account.
Check the effect that receiving DLA may have on other benefits which may increase e.g. Child Tax Credit

To be entitled to DLA mobility component your child must be unable to walk, can only walk slowly or not far or is in a lot of pain when they do so.  The mobility component can be claimed from the age of three if your child is unable or practically unable to walk; they have severe behavioural problems and are on the higher rate of the care component, they are 80% deaf and 100% blind.  

The two levels of the mobility component are:
Lower rate – if your child needs help or supervision whilst out
Higher rate – if your child has severe mobility difficulties

Mobility Component Weekly Rates (Correct as of 27.6.06)

Higher rate £43.45
Lower rate £16.50

The benefit is usually paid direct into your account.
Check the effect that receiving DLA may have on other benefits which may increase e.g. Child Tax Credit

Special Rules
These apply to children who are not expected to live more than six months and are designed to make the benefits process move much more quickly.

How do you apply for DLA?

Phone the Benefits Enquiry Line: 0800 8822000
Complete leaflet DS704 obtainable from benefit offices and post offices
Go online at http://www.direct.gov.uk/disability

Carers Allowance
If you spend at least 35 hours a week looking after a disabled child who receives the middle or higher level of DLA and do not earn more than £95 a week after deductions (as at 4th April 2008) then you may be entitled to Carers Allowance. If you look after more than one child with disabilities then you can only claim for one lot of Carers Allowance and again if your child goes into hospital the benefit may be affected,although if your partner cares for one disabled child and you care for one disabled child you can both claim for carers allowance.

Contact the Carer's Allowance Unit
The Carer's Allowance Unit can send you a claim form. Tell them if you need a form in Welsh, Braille, large print or on audio tape.

Their address is Carer's Allowance Unit, Palatine House, Lancaster Road, Preston, PR1 1HB

Telephone: 01253 856 123

Textphone: 01772 562 202

You can contact these numbers between 8.30 am and 5.00 pm Monday to Thursday, and between 8.30 am and 4.30 pm on Fridays.

If your first language is not English or Welsh, ask for information about the interpreter service.

Fax: 01772 899 354

Email: cau.customer-services@dwp.gsi.gov.uk

You can also obtain a claim form at any JOB CENTRE.

Child Tax Credits Disabled Child Element
Tax credits are designed to ease the financial burdens on families in the UK. The system is designed so that some of the taxes paid by a family may be paid back to the person responsible for care of the children in the family.  Although the scheme is based on a calculation which means that the higher your salary or income the lower the amound of tax credits paid, it is worth applying as only those on high salaries over £58,175 will not receive any benefit.  

For each disabled child in the family, the total amount of possible tax credit available is increased, more so if the child is on the higher rate of Disability Living Allowance.  The amount actually paid will still be reduced for those on high salaries but for most families with disabled children this can form quite a substantial benefit.  The amount paid will also be affected by childcare costs you may have.

A useful guide can be found on the direct gov website:

Blue Badge Scheme
This scheme provides parking concessions primarily for people with walking difficulties who are travelling either as passengers or drivers.
If you are applying for your child then you may only use it when they are in the car with you.
If you have more than one child who qualifies then you must have a badge for each. This badge enables you to park in disabled parking bays, free at parking metres and on double yellow lines as long as you are not blocking the flow of traffic and there are no yellow marks lines on the kerb indicating no loading.

Who can apply?
The official policy is that you must satisfy one of the following criteria:

You (or your child) are in receipt of the higher rate of mobility allowance

The Department of Work and Pensions has provided you with your car

You are registered blind

If you have a disabled child under the age of three who therefore cannot be in receipt of mobility allowance, it is still worth contacting the administering authority as children under the age of three can obtain a badge.

Direct Payments
What is it?

Direct Payments is a way of providing you with personal help but rather than Social Services providing this help for you, you are in charge.

Social Services give you money so that you can be the employer of your own helpers.
This means that you can choose who helps you, when they help you and how they help you.
This system gives you a lot more flexibility but does mean that you have to be able to manage the scheme yourself although you do get help. Insurance, keeping financial records, recruiting and budget keeping are all involved. Payment is made every month into an account specifically set up for the purpose.

To receive Direct Payments you have to be over 16 or a parent of a child with special needs and also entitled to Community Care services. You can employ more than one person, but that person may not be a relative and the tasks that you ask them to do must be agreed by an assessment procedure.
Examples of help include helping your child get dressed, getting them up, putting them to bed and taking them out on social activities.

How do I find out more?
Get in contact with your health visitor or social worker. Alternatively, http://www.ncil.org.uk is the web site for the National Centre for Independent Living who provide a list of local services and support organisations related to this scheme.

Warm Front
Warm Front is a grant scheme that provides a package of heating and insulation home improvements for people on certain benefits. Cavity Wall and Loft insulation installation grants are available for households with members in receipt of Disability Living Allowance.
Telephone:0800 316 2805

Disabled Persons Railcard

Your child may be entitled to a Disabled Person's Railcard if they are at least 5 years old and either:

They are receiving the mobility component (higher or lower rate) of Disability Living Allowance
They are receiving the help with personal care component (higher or middle rate) of Disability Living Allowance.

Although the child pays a full child fair, the accompanying adult can travel with them at one-third off the standard adult fare. There are two types of railcard - the one year which costs £18 and the three year which costs £48 (correct at time of publication)


Fuel bills
Some energy (gas and electric) suppliers offer a discounted tariff for people who get certain benefits, such as DLA. Ring your energy supplier and ask for information.

Council Tax reduction

Having a child with a disability does not automatically entitle you to a reduction, but you may be entitled to a reduction if your home is larger/adapted due to reasons related to your child's disability.
You may also be entitled to a discount if your child is 'severely mentally impaired' and entitled to the Disability Living Allowance care component at the middle or highest rate.

If you are eligible for a discount, then your bill will be reduced to that of a property in the next Council Tax band down: for example, a Band D property will be charged at Band C rate.

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)