• VIP
birmingham council
xxxxx I am the happiest woman alive i have my perfect family xxxxx

• VIP
(03-23-2010, 09:51 PM)soady Wrote: just want to know really were i stand with help etc also would my ds be eligable for a blue badge as he has metatarsus adductus and find it difficult to walk far ? was really ebarrised about posting in here as me and Darling husband said we wont ask for help but i now need to consider all options thanks

hi i have had a blue badge for over twelve months now my son is just coming up to his third birthday april 7! there is a general application form for people requiring a blue badge over the age of three dont let this fool you! request the form for special circumstances and a decision will be made based on your individual case. i got mine because i have a heavy wheelchair and at the time portable oxygen. this has made life so much easier for us and lots of free parking! hope this helps.
I never thought it would happen to me.

• Administrators
Oxygen and pumps always warrant a blue badge so thats never an issue.
In regards to your case Soady believe it or not you stand a very good chance with Birmingham as its our local council and with children they can be decent on blue badges so you should be fine.
Birmingham will look at cases on there merit even without the DLA Higher rate being in place and will seek guidance from your sons doctor in regards to his conditions and how it effects his walking etc.
The birmingham blue badge page is offline at the moment for some reason but i will add this shortly for you. Smile
Looking for sensory toys at affordable prices then look no further

Sensory toys for children with special needs CLICK HERE

• Administrators
Here we go direct from the Birmingham website:

Some people may also be eligible if they are more than two years old and either:

•Have a permanent and substantial disability which means they cannot walk, or which makes walking very difficult

So maybe look towards this angle.
However what does worry me is that its not permanant but do APPLY still its a short form.

How to apply for a Blue Badge
Blue Badges are issued over the counter at 27 local Post Offices. Application forms are not available at the Post Office, only from:

Older Peoples Access Service (OPAS)
Tamebridge House
Aldridge Road
Perry Barr Birmingham
B42 2TY

Telephone: 0121 303 1234

Email: OlderPeoplesAccessService@birmingham.gov.uk

You can ask them to email you the form as well Smile
Looking for sensory toys at affordable prices then look no further

Sensory toys for children with special needs CLICK HERE

• VIP
thanks for all the help i will try calling and will apply i just want things now that are going to make life easier for him i did speak to dla people and explained his probs and they said i should apply too so thank you all for your help Smile
I have now called for blue badge and dla and booked appiontment with the school head is there any thing else i should do?
xxxxx I am the happiest woman alive i have my perfect family xxxxx